Support Blocks for Submarine Museum Leninsky Komsomol

Specialists of JSC “Kronstadt Marine Plant” (part of the USC) have started the installation of support blocks on the first Soviet nuclear submarine K-3 “Leninsky Komsomol”. The supports are designed to install the legendary submarine at the site of the Museum of Naval Glory in Kronstadt.

Eight blocks for the support base K-3 were manufactured at the Vyborg Shipyard (part of the USC). Their installation is carried out in the dock. Mitrofanov, where since the end of December 2021, work has been carried out to restore and museumify the boat.

During the restoration work, the specialists of the plant will replace more than 80% of the coating of the light hull of the submarine, partially replace and repair the elements of the superstructure. About 30 tons of metal structures and more than 280 m2 of the special coating of the submarine have already been dismantled. Parts are replaced with maximum preservation of the authenticity of the legendary ship. At the same time, the durable housing is cleaned, after which a paint and varnish coating will be applied to it.

Upon completion of the restoration work, the K-3 submarine “Leninsky Komsomol” will be taken out of the dock and transported to the site of the future Museum of Naval Glory of the tourist and recreational cluster “Island of Forts”, which is located in the west of St. Petersburg, in Kronstadt.

The nuclear submarine K-3 “Leninsky Komsomol” became part of the USSR Navy in 1959, based in Severodvinsk, and served until 1988, having completed 5 campaigns in combat service in 29 years. Being at sea for a total of more than 14,000 sailing hours, she traveled a total of almost 130,000 miles. In 1991, K-3 was officially withdrawn from the Navy.

As a museum ship, K-Z will become the central exhibit of the Museum of Naval Glory under construction in Kronstadt.

Related posts