March 15, 2021 (Google Translation) – he Leningrad Naval Base of the Baltic Fleet celebrates the 102nd anniversary of the formation of the association.
It currently consists of ship units, training units and military units located in the St. Petersburg and Leningrad region.
The most important tasks facing the sailors of the Leningrad Navy in modern conditions are the training of crews and the commissioning of the newest ships coming into service with the Russian Navy.
Sailors of the Leningrad Navy provide all activities related to the maritime life of the city of St. Petersburg – visits of foreign military and training ships, parades, holidays and regattas. The ships of the Leningrad Navy, which annually line up on the Neva in the line of the parade on the eve of the Navy Day celebrations, have become a kind of calling card of St. Petersburg and the Main Naval Parade.
Today, in Kronstadt, where the headquarters of the Leningrad VMB has been based since 2008, there are solemn events dedicated to the commemorative date.
The Leningrad naval base was established by the Baltic Sea Fleet Order of March 15, 1919 No.117. In accordance with this order, the Petrograd Maritime Forces were transformed into a Petrograd naval base. In the summer of 1919, the crews of the destroyers Gabriel and Hazard, together with the submarine Panther, opened the base’s combat account, sinking the submarine L-55 and the destroyer Vittoria of the Royal Navy.
During the Great Patriotic War, about 100,000 military sailors fought on various parts of the Leningrad Front. In 1941-1944, the ships and boats of the Leningrad Navy participated in amphibious operations in the areas of Strelna, Peterhof, Ladoga Lake, Vyborg and Narva Bays.
In the post-war years, the main task of the Leningrad Navy was to train crews and commission new ships coming into service with the Navy.