May 13, 2020 (Google Translation) – The Peter the Great Central Naval Museum in St. Petersburg has prepared a unique electronic exhibition dedicated to the 120th anniversary of the ship No. 1 of the Russian Navy – the cruiser Aurora. The exhibition tells about the glorious history and battle history of the cruiser.
“This is certainly an important event. Navy men draw inspiration from their historical traditions that span more than three centuries. The history of the Aurora cruiser is the history of our shipbuilding, this is the history of an exemplary cruising way of service, ”said Admiral Nikolai Evmenov, Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Navy.
On May 23, 1897, celebrations took place in St. Petersburg on the occasion of the laying of three armored cruisers of the 1st rank: on Galerny Island – Pallas (the lead ship of the series) and Diana; in the New Admiralty – Aurora.
It was the 90s of the XIX and the first years of the XX century that became the time of the creation of such a variety of cruisers as armored deck in Russia. The fleet was replenished with squadron battleships, whose tactical formations needed relatively small cruisers for reconnaissance service.
On April 17, 1896, Emperor Nicholas II selected the names “Pallas” and “Diana” from the list of names that were offered to him at the discretion of the names of future ships being built on the Galerny Island. Direct work on the formation on the stocks of their hulls began in July 1896. Work on the formation at the state (“treasury”) shipyard “New Admiralty” of the hull of the third cruiser in the series, namely the cruiser “Aurora” began in September-October 1896 under the leadership of the appointed builder of the cruiser ship engineer junior shipbuilder E.R. de Grofe. March 31, 1897, on the proposal to the emperor of the next list of proposed ship names, Nicholas II chose the name “Aurora”. The Aurora hull was assembled on a slipway for more than three and a half years; it was launched on May 11 (23), 1900.