January 24 marked the 50th anniversary of the laying of the K-171 nuclear submarine built at Sevmash (part of USC). The nuclear-powered ship completed a series of ten project 667B missile carriers.
The nuclear submarine K-171 was included in the lists of ships of the Navy on February 6, 1973. The act of acceptance was signed on December 29, 1974. The submarine was in service until 1995. In 1976, the nuclear submarine K-171 made an inter-fleet transition from the Northern to the Pacific Fleet by the southern sea route across three oceans.
The ship traveled about 22,000 miles. During the service, the nuclear submarine performed combat missions, participated in the North-East inter-fleet exercises.
The military shipbuilding plan for 1969-1980 provided for the creation of a stable strategic nuclear missile submarine system with long-range weapons. To accommodate a new intercontinental ballistic missile, it was decided to modify the nuclear submarine of project 667A. A series of 24 ships was built at Sevmash in 1964-1972. The design of the submarine remained basically the same, but the placement of more powerful and heavier weapons led to a reduction in the number of missiles to 12, an increase in the normal displacement by 1200 tons and a decrease in speed by 2 knots. At the same time, as calculations showed, due to the advantages of the new complex, the combat effectiveness of the ship increased by 2.5 times.
The combat service of Project 667B nuclear submarines was carried out as part of the Northern and Pacific Fleets. Due to the increased range of the missiles, the combat patrol zones of the ships were at a relatively small distance from their bases and were sufficiently protected by the forces of the fleets. The transition from the base point to the combat service area took no more than three days.
The “golden” series of missile carriers of projects 667A and subsequent modifications (B, BD, BDR, BDRM), built at Sevmash, includes 59 nuclear submarines.