August 26, 2019 (Google Translation)
1. North Korea seems to have launched a ballistic missile eastward from the east coast of North Korea at around 6:44 today. The launched ballistic missile is estimated to have traveled approximately 400 km and dropped onto the Sea of Japan. The fall is estimated to be outside of Japan’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ). Details are currently under analysis. Furthermore, it seems that North Korea launched a ballistic missile eastward from the east coast of North Korea at around 7: 1 today. It is estimated that the launched ballistic missile flew about 350 km and dropped onto the Sea of Japan. The fall is estimated to be outside of Japan’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ). Details are currently under analysis.
2. Report to the Prime Minister immediately on this matter, ① Give all efforts to gather and analyze information, and provide the public with prompt and accurate information ② Thoroughly confirm the safety of aircraft, ships, etc. ③ Unexpected In preparation for the situation, I was instructed on three points to be fully prepared.
3. In response to this, the Minister of Defense issued an instruction to “successfully collect information and guard surveillance”. After that, we are taking all possible measures, such as holding related executive meetings.
4. The launch of this ballistic missile violates the relevant UN Security Council resolutions and is extremely regrettable. North Korea also appears to be developing nuclear and missiles by continuing to advance related technologies through repeated launches of short-range ballistic missiles and flying objects. Such a trend is a serious issue for the international community including Japan. The launch this time is not something that can be overlooked.
5. The Ministry of Defense will continue to collect and analyze related information, and will make every effort to ensure that it is vigilant. In addition, we will respond to all air threats under the Defense Charter and Medium-term Defense, and will strengthen our ability to protect all of Japan and comprehensive missile air defense capabilities.