June 14, 2019 (Google Translation) – In 1936, with 20 years of existence, Naval Aviation was consolidated as a component of the Argentine Navy. This is how it came to need an organization similar to the current one, which created the first two Aeronaval Forces: Aeronaval Force No. 1 in Punta Indio and Air Force No. 2 in Puerto Militar (Puerto Belgrano) .
The Naval Aviation had grown in means with the Corsairs, Stearman, Kelito and the G-15 and G-20 (soon the most modern Ducks). The same as the Navy, which continued with the incorporation of units built in the country. It was then that the first three Aeronaval Squadrons were organically created, giving an organization that would be strengthened over the years.
• Aeronaval Squadron N ° 1, until then located in Puerto Belgrano, which mainly had the Curtiss “Kelito” and the Stearmans.
• The Naval Air Squadron No. 2, also located in Puerto Belgrano, which brought then Patrol Squadrons, Observation and Bombers, were the main means Southampton, Consolidated P2Y-3A and the Ducks.
• Aeronaval Squad No. 3, located in Punta Indio, mainly had the Observation and Attack Squadrons. At that time it constituted the main defense of the Rio de la Plata, with the Corsairs V-142 and the Martin Wan.
Taking into consideration that both the Military Port and its auxiliary Campo Sarmiento were insufficient to operate the new types of aircraft, the installation was planned in the area of an aerodrome that could accommodate them.
Studied the land near the Military Port-task that fell to Captain Enrique Brown-and decided its construction, we proceeded to purchase the necessary land, doing it in the fields near the Civil Aerodrome of Bahia Blanca (Villa Harding Creen) , 5 km from that city and 25 km from the Puerto Belgrano Naval Base, in the vicinity of the Grünbein station of the then Southern Railway.
In the initial stage of the works, it was known by different names: Grünbein Airfield, Naval Base of Puerto Belgrano, Bahía Blanca Naval Base, taking its official name on the day of its inauguration, on June 16, 1939 (OG 127 / 939 – Decree No. 33,684 / 939).
Currently, the Commander Espora Air Base (BACE) is the seat and logistic support of the units dependent on Air Force No. 2 and includes the First Helicopter Airborne Squadron and the Second Helicopter Airborne Squadron, the Antisubmarine Airborne Squadron, the Second Aeronaval Squadron of Hunting and Attack and the Aeronaval Force Training Center No. 2.