Located in the old building of the Peruvian Customs, built in 1871, it was founded on May 20, 1983, at the request of citizens to maintain and preserve the main historical elements that are related to the main event occurred in the last century in its bay, the Naval Combat of Iquique during the War of the Pacific.
The building, now declared a national monument, has a compact structure and is a relic of the past that faces the lighthouse of the former White Island. In it, the survivors of the corvette “Esmeralda” were imprisoned after the Naval Combat of Iquique, after they were rescued from the waters by the boats of the Peruvian “Huáscar” monitor. In its front, the remains of the Frigate Captain Arturo Prat Chacón, Commander of the ship, remained for a few hours.
To materialize this replica of the “Esmeralda”, Minera Collahuasi initially contacted the Friends of Chile Cultural Heritage Corporation, forming a team in charge of outstanding civil and naval professionals, with solid experience in the areas of Engineering and Naval Construction , Maneuvers and Museology. The project, which involved the Chilean Navy, the Regional Government and the Municipality of Iquique, would later pass under the administration of the Chilean Maritime Heritage Corporation, which had the task of carrying out its execution.
The Corvette Esmeralda Museum is located on an esplanade of the coastal edge of Iquique, in the current Lynch Promenade. Its vision is to be constituted, within the naval-historical scope, in a national and international referent, with respect to the intangible patrimonial preservation and the tacit recognition of the values and spirit of the sailors of war, enhancing the image of the Chilean Navy , of his men and of the transcendence of his historical legacy.
Address: Avenida Arturo Prat S / N. Paseo Almirante Lynch – Iquique
Phone: (56) 57 2530812
Information Days and Hours: http://www.museoesmeralda.cl/reservas-online.html
The monitor “Huáscar” belonged to Peru and during the Pacific War in which Chile fought the allies Bolivia and Peru, sank the corvette “Esmeralda” in the Naval Combat of Iquique. Later it was captured by the Chilean Navy in the Naval Battle of Angamos, on October 8, 1879, being used under the Chilean flag until the end of the conflict.
During the Civil War of 1891, he fought on behalf of the congressmen. After extensive services he was discharged, remaining at anchor in Talcahuano. In 1952, Rear Admiral Pedro Espina Ritchie transformed it into a floating museum. Then Captain Gerald L. Wood, administrator of the Asmar plant in Talcahuano, manages to restore it to its original condition so that it stays afloat for a long time.
Today remains anchored in front of the Commander in Chief of the Second Naval Zone, in Talcahuano, and has become a place of veneration to the Chilean and Peruvian heroes who fought for their respective countries and whose blood washed their decks.
In addition, during 1996, the frigate “Almirante Condell” made a recreation of the operation of the monitor’s guns, which with the help of mannequins and special effects, allow to move in time and live the emotion of a combat in the same conditions as more than a century.
Hours of operation: Tuesday to Sunday from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. and from 2 to 4 p.m.
Admission value Adult $ 1,000 / Child $ 500 / Senior Adult $ 500
Visit value of previously coordinated delegations: Adults $ 500 / Child and Elderly $ 300
Dependent of the Armaments School of the Navy, in Las Salinas, Viña de Mar. Since 1962, disused cannons that have been installed aboard warships and other such weapons are displayed in front of the Armaments School of the Navy. like torpedoes, antisubmarine and antiaircraft weaponry.
Located in Playa Ancha, Valparaíso, the Museum is conditioned in a special room and some museum pieces are distributed in its facilities to remind the Cadets daily of the effort and sacrifice of their predecessors to keep Chile free and sovereign.
Among his relics is the sword with which the Captain of Frigate Arturo Prat Chacón jumped to the boarding of the Peruvian monitor “Huáscar” in the Naval Combat of Iquique, a cannon of the corvette “Esmeralda”, two bronze cannons built in Lima between 1776 and 1778, the combat pavilion that hoisted the schooner “Covadonga” on May 21, 1879 during the Naval Combat of Punta Gruesa. Among various documents, there is the original of the letter written by Captain Miguel Grau Seminario, Commander of the monitor “Huáscar”, to the widow of Arturo Prat. There is also a collection of models and models of aircraft that have served the Navy. Also, a collection of paintings alluding to naval themes and illustrious characters is distributed in different units.
It was inaugurated on January 13, 1995 in its current premises of Pedro Montt Street No. 981, building formerly of the Naval Post Office of Magallanes and located in a sector of the historic architecture of Punta Arenas.
This museum has the responsibility to spread the national maritime interests, the values and history of the Chilean Navy, as well as to conserve and increase the naval and maritime heritage of the Region of Magallanes and Chilean Antarctic.
His sample highlights a large number of models of ships at scale, oil, nautical elements, information related to the first maritime expeditions in Magallanes and Antarctica. Display of videos such as the rescue in the Antarctic of the expedition of Sir Ernest Shackleton by the Chilean Navy Pilot Luis Pardo Villalón, crossing Cape Horn and the Yámana ethnic group, primitive canoemen of the Beagle Channel.
Address: Pedro Montt Nº 981
Hours of operation: Tuesday to Saturday, from 9:30 am to 12:30 am and from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
Adult Rates: $ 1,200 / Seniors: $ 600 / Children: $ 600
Phone: 61 – 2245987
In Chiguad, island of Quinchao, in the commune of Curaco de Velez, Chiloé, is the Museum replica of the house of Admiral Galvarino Riveros Cárdenas and in which are exhibited pieces of incalculable historical value obtained from the old house that the Admiral lived During their childhood.
Address: Coastal road of Changuitad, approximately 4 km from Curaco de Vélez to the San Javier sector
During the year it is open to delegations only, while the Summer Time is from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from Monday to Saturday
Admission is free with voluntary contribution
Contact telephone number is 65 2667359 and email email@example.com
Located in the School of Litoral and Faros, in Punta Angeles, Valparaíso, here are exhibited various lighthouses and complementary elements that were used by the Navy since the last century. Also, pictures and photographs of different lighthouses from other eras are exhibited.
It also maintains museological samples in the following departments:
1. School of Operations of the Navy, in the Salinas, Viña del Mar.
2. Army Grumete School, on Quiriquina Island, Concepción Bay.
3. Grouping of Marine Infantry Commands No. 51, in Playa Ancha, Valparaíso.
4. School of Marine Infantry, in Las Salinas, Viña del Mar.
5. School of Naval Engineering, in Las Salinas, Viña del Mar.
6. Naval Aviation School, in the sector of Torquemada, Viña del Mar.
7. School of Naval Craftsmen, in the Tumbes Peninsula, Talcahuano.
8. School of Submarines, in Talcahuano.
9. Recruitment Training Center, on Quiriquina Island, in the Bay of Concepción.
10. Naval Arsenal, in Talcahuano.
11. Detachment of Marine Infantry “Lynch”, in Iquique.
12. Sub-center of Naval Telecommunications, in Iquique.