100th anniversary of the Leningrad Naval Base of the Baltic Fleet

March 15, 2019 (Google Translation) – The commander of the Baltic Fleet, Admiral Alexander Nosatov, congratulated the personnel of the Leningrad Naval Base (naval base) on the 100th anniversary of the formation of the association.

At the end of the 2018 school year, the Leningrad naval base, commanded by Rear Admiral Vyacheslav Rodionov, was recognized as one of the best fleet associations.

Currently, it includes ship units, training units and military units located on the territory of St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region.

The most important tasks facing the sailors of the Leningrad naval base in modern conditions are the training of crews and the commissioning of the newest ships coming into service with the Russian Navy.

Sailors of the Leningrad naval base provide all activities related to the marine life of St. Petersburg: visits from foreign military and training ships, parades, holidays and regattas. The unification ships, which annually line up on the Neva River in the parade line on the eve of the Navy Day celebration, became a kind of visiting card of St. Petersburg and the Main Naval Parade.

Today in Kronstadt, where since 2008 the headquarters of the Leningrad naval base is based, solemn events are held dedicated to the memorial date.

The Leningrad naval base was created by the Order of the Fleet of the Baltic Sea on March 15, 1919 No. 117. In accordance with this document, the Marine forces of Petrograd were transformed into the Petrograd naval base. In the summer of 1919, the crews of the destroyers Gabriel and Azard, together with the submarine Panther, opened a combat account of the union, sinking the submarine L-55 and the destroyer Vittoria of the British Navy.

During the Great Patriotic War, about 100 thousand naval sailors fought on various sectors of the Leningrad Front. In 1941–1944 ships and boats of the Leningrad naval base participated in amphibious operations in the areas of Strelna, Peterhof, on Lake Ladoga, in the Vyborg and Narva bays.

In the postwar years, the main task of the Leningrad Navy was the training of crews and the commissioning of new ships entering service with the Navy.