September 17, 2018 (Google Translation) – The past September 14 was held at the Ferrol shipyard, the sponsorship of the Maritime Action Ship P-46 “Furor”, of the Spanish Navy, being the president of the Congress of Deputies, Ana Pastor Julián the godmother of the ship.
In addition to the president of the Congress, the ceremony was attended by the Admiral Chief of Staff of the Navy (AJEMA), Admiral General Teodoro López Calderón, among others, and the President of Navantia, Susana Sarriá Sopena.
This vessel is the sixth of this type to be built, and the second of the second series that the Spanish Navy contracted with Navantia, according to the Execution Order signed on December 5, 2014. It was in 2006 when Navantia was commissioned the first series, which was concluded in 2012 after the construction and delivery to the Spanish Navy of four BAM, with the names of “Meteor”, “Lightning”, “Lightning” and “Tornado”. These vessels have successfully participated in numerous national and international operations.
The putting of keel of the BAM “Furor” took place on April 29, 2016, being the third ship of the Navy to receive this name. The first, in service in 1896, was a destroyer, sunk in the battle of Santiago de Cuba; the second, categorized as a torpedo boat, submarine fighter, fast frigate and antisubmarine destroyer was also built in Ferrol and was in service from 1960 to 1973.
Its main missions are:
- Protection and escort of other ships; Control of maritime traffic;
- Control and neutralization of terrorist and piracy actions;
- Operations against drug trafficking and human trafficking;
- Maritime rescue and salvage operations;
- Support for crisis situations and humanitarian aid;
- Control of fisheries legislation;
- Control of environmental legislation and anti-pollution.