The NRP Sagres was built in 1937 at the Blohm & Voss shipyards (Hamburg), the German navy was named Albert Leo Schlageter. At the end of World War II, Albert Leo Schlageter was delivered to the United States and after three years he was assigned to the Brazilian Navy where he began to bear the name of Guanabara.
On January 30, 1962, 55 years ago, the Sagres Ship School was increased to the number of Portuguese Navy vessels. In its 55 years in the service of Portugal, the ship has traveled more than 600 thousand miles and carried out more than 100 thousand hours of navigation, visited 61 countries and docked in 171 foreign ports.
The main mission of the Sagres Ship-school is to enable the cadets of the Naval School, the future officers of the Navy, to make contact with life at sea by means of on-board instruction trips on board the ship.
The NRP Sagres also has as mission the representation of the Navy and the country, functioning like itinerant embassy of Portugal.
The ship has several decorations, the latest insignia being the honorary member of the Military Order of Avis, imposed this week by the President of the Republic and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, who referred to the ship at the time as “expression of the Portuguese soul. “